Director of The Family Constellation Institute, The Hellinger Institute of Northern California and co-director of the Hellinger Learning Center in New York City, Mark is North America’s leader in Inherited Family Trauma. He conducts workshops and trainings in family therapy throughout the United States, Canada, England and Latin America, as well as for the University of Pittsburgh’s Graduate School of Social Work, Western Psychiatric Institute’s 4th-Year Psychiatry Residency Program, Magee-Womens Hospital’s Infertility Clinic, Allegheny General Hospital’s Psychiatry Department, Kripalu, The New York Open Center and The California Institute of Integral Studies. Mark is a contributor to the book Messengers of Healing: The Family Constellations of Bert Hellinger Through the Eyes of a New Generation of Practitioners, and co-author of the forthcoming book The Secret Language of Fear: How We Live Our Family’s Traumas. A regular presenter at hospitals, clinics, conferences and teaching centers, Mark has trained thousands of clinicians in his Core Language Approach®. He specializes in working with depression, anxiety, obsessive thoughts, fears, panic disorders, self-injury, chronic pain and persistent symptoms and conditions.
Mark is a Summa Cum Laude graduate in English and Psychology from the University of Pittsburgh. His graduate work at the University of Pittsburgh and at the University of Arizona was also in English. Mark has published poetry in The New Yorker.
“As creator of the Core Language Approach®, I’ve spent the last 20 years studying how language and trauma intersect—how patients’ presenting symptoms, specifically the language they use, can lead us to the root of the issue, often to a trauma in the family history or in childhood. Core language can separate us from reliving a trauma that doesn’t belong to us.”
- Director and Founder of The Family Constellation Institute
- Director of The Hellinger Institute of Northern California
- Director of The Hellinger Institute of Western Pennsylvania
- Co-Director and Co-Founder of The Hellinger Learning Center
- Director and Founder of The Medical Hypnotherapy Center
- Certified Trainer of Deep Memory Process
- Supervisor for Dr. Roger Woolger’s Training Program
- Certified Clinical Hypnotherapist – American Council of Hypnotherapist Examiners
- Certified Medical Hypnotherapist - The National League of Medical Hypnotherapists
- Certified Mediator – Pittsburgh Mediation Center
- Certified Conflict Resolution Specialist – Center for Victims of Violence and Crime
- Certified Regression Therapist – The International Board for Regression Therapy
- Certified Neuromuscular Therapist, with advanced training in CranioSacral Therapy, Ortho-bionomy, Myofascial Release, Trauma work, Breathwork and Psychodrama.
- Certified Meditation Instructor and Trainer of The Clarity Process
- Presenter at Kripalu
- Presenter at The New York Open Center
- Presenter at California Institute for Integral Studies
- Western Psychiatric Institute and Clinic – 4th-year Psychiatry Residency Training 2012 (Therapeutic Approach to Trauma)
- Presenter at Allegheny General Hospital – Psychiatry Grand Rounds 2012
- Creator of The Core Language Approach®